How to pay back Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Grants
Written 26 June 2020. The Government has provided guidance on how to pay back all or some of your grant if you’ve overclaimed through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
If you have overclaimed through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, you can either:
- correct it in your next claim
- make a payment to HMRC (only if you are not making another claim)
Gov.uk advice: If you make an error when claimingIf you have made an error in a claim that has resulted in an overclaimed amount, you must pay this back to HMRC. If you are making another claim then you can tell us about an overclaimed amount as part of this. When you make your next claim you will be asked whether you need to reduce the amount to take account of a previous overclaim. Your new claim amount will be reduced to reflect the overclaimed amount and you should keep a record of this adjustment for 6 years.
If you have overclaimed and you do not plan to submit any further claims then you should contact HMRC to let us know about your error and find out how to pay back any overclaimed amounts. Once you have contacted us you will be given a payment reference number and directed to make a payment.
If you have made an error that has resulted in an underclaimed amount, you should contact HMRC to amend your claim. As you are increasing the amount of your claim, we need to conduct additional checks.
To pay back, you will need:
You will need your 14- or 15-digit payment reference number that begins with X.
You must contact HMRC to get your payment reference number.
How to Pay
- Bank details for online or telephone banking, CHAPS and Bacs
- You can pay by Faster Payments, CHAPS or Bacs to HMRC’s account.
- Sort code 08 32 10
- Account number 12001039
- Account name HMRC Cumbernauld
- Faster Payments (online or telephone banking) usually reach HMRC on the same or next day, including weekends and bank holidays
- CHAPS usually reach HMRC the same working day if you pay within your bank’s processing times
- Bacs usually take 3 working days
Your payment may be delayed if you use the wrong reference number.