skip to navigationskip to main content

Eat Out to Help Out Scheme Guide for Customers & Businesses

This August, people across the UK will benefit from 50% discount vouchers whenever they eat at a registered Eat Out to Help Out Scheme establishment. The scheme, designed to bring life back into our hospitality industry, will stretch between 3 to 31 August.

The following guide outlines the scheme for would-be diners and the businesses that want to serve them.


When and where can you use an Eat Out to Help Out Scheme voucher?

  • The 50% discount can be used in any participating food and drink venue and can be used to cover the cost of food and non-alcoholic drinks, up to a maximum of £10 discount per diner.
  • Vouchers can be used every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, at any time during the day and evening, between 3 and 31 August.
  • If you’re wondering whether you’ll be restricted to handful of vouchers, fear not: you can use the scheme as many times as you like.
  • Vouchers can be used in conjunction with existing offers and discounts, and there is no minimum spend.
  • You cannot use the scheme to buy alcohol drinks or cover service charges.
  • Groups of any size can use the discount.

Establishments include:

  • Restaurants, cafés, bars or pubs
  • Work and school canteens
  • Food halls

Find a registered restaurant within two miles here.


How to register your business for the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme

If you would like to sign up to the scheme to encourage others to your food and drink business, you must register by 31 August. You can claim reimbursement from the government to cover the costs of offering substantial discounts.

As part of the scheme, you must offer the discount during the days outlined above and cannot include alcohol and service charges.

According to guidance, you can register a business that:

  • Sells food for immediate consumption on the premises
  • Provides its own dining area or shares a dining area with another establishment for eat-in meals
  • Was registered as a food business with the relevant local authority on or before 7 July.

However, you cannot register:

  • An establishment that only offers takeaway food or drink
  • Catering services for private functions
  • A hotel that provides room service only
  • Dining services (such as packaged dinner cruises)
  • Mobile food vans or trailers.

What you’ll need to register

You must have or set up the following information to register:

  • The Government Gateway ID and password for your business (if you do not have one, you can create one when you register)
  • The name and address of each establishment to be registered, unless you are registering more than 25
  • Your UK bank account number and sort code for the business (only provide bank account details where a BACS payment can be accepted)
  • The address on your bank account for the business (this is the address on your bank statements)
  • Date your business started trading.

You may also need:

  • VAT registration number
  • Employer PAYE scheme reference number
  • Corporation Tax, Self-Assessment or Partnership Self-Assessment unique taxpayer reference.

If you are registering 25 establishments or less, you must provide the details of each. However, if you register 25 or more establishments that are part of the same business, you don’t need to provide details for each one.

Register for the Eat Out to Help Out Scheme here.

Count on Cardens

If you require advice on how to deal with HMRC, or what support your hospitality business may be entitled to, talk to our accountancy team at 01273 739592

What Our Clients Say

Meet The Team