skip to navigationskip to main content

Child Benefit will not affect your Universal Credit claim

If you have previously elected to stop receiving child benefit to avoid the high-income child benefit charge (HICBC), you may wish to revoke the election in order to restart your claim. Child benefit payments will not affect a Universal Credit claim.

Child benefit may need to be ultimately paid back via your next self-assessment tax return. However, it can help a little towards easing your immediate cash flow concerns – during these times, every little counts!

If you want to revoke and restart, you can do so by completing a form on the dedicated webpage. Start by setting up a Government Gateway account if you haven’t already done so as login details are required. Alternatively, you can contact the Child Benefit Office by telephone on 0300 200 3100.

The child benefit election must be revoked by the person who originally made it. This is the person who would have received the benefit.

Contrary to reports, the process is quick. Payments starting from the Monday following the call or receipt of the form. Revocation (and therefore payments) can be backdated to the start of the tax year if you or your partners’ adjusted net income is expected to exceed £60,000,

Are you eligible for Universal Credit?

Sudden job losses, lack of self-employment support until June and eligibility issues for government schemes has led to a surge in Universal Credit payments.

In the 16 days to 6 April, 950,000 people have applied for Universal Credit. That’s an 850% increase on the average 100,000 claims lodged in any given two-week period.

You can apply for Universal Credit if:

  • You are on a low income or out of work
  • Over the age of 18 (although there are some exceptions if you are 16 or 17)
  • Under the state pension age of 67
  • Live in the UK
  • Have savings of £16,000 or less between you and your partner.

Contact Cardens

Our Personal Tax team is working hard to provide clarity during this time of financial upheaval for so many. Email to direct your personal tax enquiries to the right team.


Client Area

Tax Investigations Protection