skip to navigationskip to main content

How To Make Your Self-Assessment Tax Payment To HM Revenue and Customs

HMRC are encouraging more taxpayers to make payments of tax electronically (online, BACS, CHAPS, Faster Payments or by telephone banking).

By Card Online
Go to and follow the instructions. The minimum payment you can make is £1 and the maximum is £99,999.99. To make a payment you need your:
• Debit/*Credit card details; and
• Your UTR reference number shown on your payslip, for example, 0123456789 (10 digits), followed by the letter K.
*Please note HMRC no longer accept payment by personal credit cards, although you will still be able to make your tax payment using a debit or corporate credit card.

HMRC Bank details for using online or telephone banking, CHAPS, Bacs
You can make a transfer from your bank account by Faster Payments, CHAPS or Bacs, direct to HMRC.
Sort code: 08 32 10
Account number: 12001039
Account name: HMRC Cumbernauld
To make your payment by this method you will need your ten digit UTR reference number, shown on your payslip followed by the letter K.

Payments by Faster Payments (online or telephone banking) usually reach HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) on the same or next day, including weekends and bank holidays.
CHAPS payments usually reach HMRC the same working day if you pay within your bank’s processing times.
Bacs payments


Client Area

Tax Investigations Protection